View Single Post
Old 26th January 2018, 07:38   #1
olliewarwick
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+

Default Possible water issues

Hi Everyone,

After all the rain we've had I think my ECU had enough of remaining dry and went for a little swim.

So I pulled it out, rodded the drain at the bottom and opened up the ECU to dry it out and in all probability send it off to marinabrian. However, although there was evidence of water in the bottom of the plenum chamber, I don't think it made it into the ecu, the marks on the pollen filter don't appear to go high enough and when I opened the ecu there is no evidence of water at all.

All that said, I'm getting some very strange issues.

1) indicators work ok the outside, but not on the dash
2) climate control show ER on both sides
3) boot won't open (ztt with electric boot release)
4) sometimes headlights come on when ignition turned on
5) other day it didn't start, just turn over, but not start
6) sometimes won't lock, but does click to unlock

So, I'm pretty sure I've water issues somewhere, but some assistance in diagnosing would be great please?

All of the above are intermittent and usual resolve themselves after the battery has been disconnected for a while. But then come back.

As I said, I think I had water in the plenum, so maybe the wiring under the ECU?
I've checked the drivers footwell and that's completely dry (I've had the sunroof drain issue which I solved a couple of years back).

There is a little bit of water in the boot so i'll have to look into where that is coming from but it doesn't appear to be on anything electrical.

I'm really annoyed with myself, I usually rod the plenum every month or so, guess I'll be doing it every week now, and I'm ashamed to say that this is a replacement ECU from only two years ago.

Thanks all.

Ollie
olliewarwick is offline   Reply With Quote