View Single Post
Old 27th January 2017, 11:58   #20
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am not a builder but the wall you want to remove, does it help support the internal wall on the right that has doors?
The joists upstairs, do they run parallel to the wall you want to remove or at right angles to it? if at right angles then they may rest on the wall you want to remove. Is there an upstairs wall sitting on top of the wall you want to remove?
I can only ask questions, don't know enough to make a recommendation

macafee2
I'm going to confirm the joist positioning this weekend but it seems like they run parallel to the wall I want to remove. If that's the case, I'd presume that the wall with the doors is load bearing.

There's no wall upstairs sitting on it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Don't forget any structural changes RSJ's etc should be approved under Building Control. Also if there use to be a wall in the identical position on the first floor you could suffer from a lack of rigidity so tying in via an RSJ or pin will help reduce the chance of wall bow, though the plan looks like the house is quite small structurally.
I'd 100% do it the right way should the wall turn out to be key to the integrity of the building. The guy who came to look at the job just simply tapped the wall, realised it was brick and kinda defaulted to saying RSJ and usual about the engineer and getting the council to verify it's all good. I was kinda expecting more of a tap on the wall to determine hehe.

In terms of size, if I knock that wall out, the length of the kitchen diner should be around 5m long so at a stab I'd say the full length of the house is maybe 8.5m/9m in total. It's detached if that makes any difference.