View Single Post
Old 26th November 2019, 15:45   #3
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Pass today with 5 advisories so looks like a bit of work on the rear end when the warmer weather comes around again in 2020:
- play in steering rack N/S inner joint. Are these replaceable?
- slight play in track rod ball joint N/S. OEM part available?
- rear corrosion (not considered excessive). Boths springs, suspension component mounting prescribed area (both inner sills)? and subframe. Big job or just a brush/scrub-up and repaint?
My take on this -
I would go for a track rod end first, sometimes it can prove to be awkward to assess which joint has slight play, the track rod end is fairly inexpensive to replace & also the play can be checked when the rod end is off the car by simply pulling the rod end in and out where the rod end was fitted.

Coil springs will corrode over time, and simply put - the powder coating will crackle away once it has water/corrosion under the surface. If no cracks to the construction of the spring, it will benefit from a good clean up and fresh paint to preserve it's service life, ultimately replacing is best policy if they are badly corroded.

If the springs are to be removed, checks can be made to the arm cups where the spring sits, scrape off the dirt and any rust, arrest the corrosion and apply primer & paint to the whole arm. If surface corrosion exists around the trailing arm bush attachment to the floor, a good clean up, rust arrest the areas affected apply primer and protective material over the top, but assess the true condition of the whole area before the process as there may be a weakness that would be better addressed prior to final coatings applied.

Things have to be really bad for subframe to be weakened on our cars, if it was a Fiat or Corsa D the front subframes are like pork scratchings !
A good clean up with checks and application of the same treatments as previously stated would be a good plan for longevity.

Finally - good news on the pass and hope your able to sort the advisories in good time for the next test.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote