View Single Post
Old 11th January 2019, 21:37   #171
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Rick There is really not a lot to remember. First get your GB sticker, preferably the magnetic stick on type. Leaves no marks when you take them off. Mounted on the rear passenger side. For France you need a yellow vest for each passenger,spare bulbs and triangle for putting out back up the road if you breakdown.The websites say you need at least a breathalyser for each person in the car and if you have to use them, there must be a spare in case you are stopped again. They say you can get fined if you have not got them, but that has not been enacted up until now. If you have sat nav you must deactivate the ‘speed camera” action, otherwise you could be fined and lose the satnav. Belgium you can count as the same and Holland. To be honest, in all the years I have been driving on the continent, I have never been stopped by the gendarmerie. Providing you are careful of the speed limits I don’t think you have any worries. Oh, and of course, keep your bum in the gutter. Except when overtaking, and don’t hog the second lane. You will find that lorries in certain areas on the m/way are not allowed into the second land. Watch out for roadwork signs. There could be a police presence.In France when approaching exit lanes to villages or towns from m/ ways, the speed limit signs are for the exit road. Not really much different to driving over here. After overtaking, pull in safely .Dont go 200 yards up the road before you pull back in on the m/way.You May notice that speeds are higher than here on the m/way except in rain when they are slower. Approx 130 kilometres p.h is 80 mph.You will need your car registration documents, insurance documents,Mot certificate. .

Last edited by bl52krz; 11th January 2019 at 21:40..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote