View Single Post
Old 17th January 2022, 11:44   #25
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Your worst case situation is the insurer paying out market value minus what they would get for it from a salvage company and allowing you to keep the car. Being able to show receipts for recent work to improve the car would increase the likely payout to an extent. Tracking is just maintenance.

At the end of the day, you do need to be realistic that it is a 19 year old car with a market value around its scrap value. Discussing the offer with the insurer's valuer/engineer politely as opposed being on the offensive charged with emotion would be my recommendation. The engineer will not be out to insult you!

These things happen. It's not the end of the world - as I kept reminding myself when first my pride and joy Rover 820 and later Rover 420 were written off many years ago.
When mine was written off as a result of an oncoming car misjudging a corner, the resulting head on collision destroyed the front end and popped 3 out of 4 new tyres. Luckily for my partner who was driving, the cabin remained intact and the doors still opened, although they stuck slightly. My insurers paid out within a week, a very fair settlement well above my expectations. They also paid for the scattered Christmas shopping and full tank of fuel. My frantic Ebay, Autotrader and other advertisers checks was a waste of time because the offer was so good.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote