View Single Post
Old 4th June 2019, 18:58   #38
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Oh, I am so glad you raised the recent EU Elections!

There are several ways to make plausible comparisons. The simplest is to compare the Brexit party’s 5.2m votes across the UK with the “NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to Brexit” Lib Dems and the pro-remain Greens, who attracted 3.4m and 2m. Taken together, they come out 142,000 votes higher at 5.4m.

A second method is to take all the pro-Brexit parties – Farage’s party, Ukip and the DUP – and compare that against the pro-remain parties, taking in Change UK and Scottish, Welsh and Irish nationalists. That gives you 5.9 million voting unambiguously pro-Brexit and 6.8 million voting for remain parties, including 884,000 from the SNP, Plaid, Sinn Fein and the Alliance Party in Northern Ireland.

I will now make no further contribution to this thread, and leave it to others to make comment, if they want.
This actually highlights the problem facing us - that the country is divided, the population polarised, and will remain so because at least 50% of the population believe that the country has been misled during recent times to secure certain outcomes. There is a strong argument for going back to the country so that the populaion has the opportunity to reinforce their positions now that that there is more clarity, the consequences of which will impact them for tens of years.

I refer of course to the justification for inviting DT for a state visit.

If I was in JC's position, I would have gone to the state banquet and raised a glass to offer a toast to a great statesman and American - the late John McCain.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote