View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2019, 21:02   #9483
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
As Andy says you will have to remove the small chrome trim from around the lock, to do this you have to remove the glass from the door, with the glass removed you need to find the spring clip that holds the chrome part on.

If you try to remove it without pulling the spring clip back you will break the locating lugs, the chrome surround then becomes of no use, once the chrome surround as been removed the door handle will slide out, under the rubber protection you will fine the torx bolt holding the lock to the door be care as 9 times 10 they sheer off.

Once again photo's attached this a got to be the worst job that anyone can undertake on ours cars, having said that there is a member whom comes to the Nano meet (Les) whom as done several and I would say he is the best i have seen do this job.

Remember the photo's attached are just showing the spring with the handle on the car it is a little harder to find so say your hale Mary's first.

The two torx screws that hold the door handle mechanism to the door seemed to be quite heavily corroded on my car (had the chrome handles off for respray work). When the handles are off, would it be a good idea to replace these screws with a stainless steel variant (one at a time)? I've attached pics of the torx screws behind the chrome handle - the paint shop has painted over the top of them but they were quite heavily corroded, so I'm thinking of replacing them when I've got easy access.

Any tips on removing these screws? Would holding a soldering iron tip to the torx screw help heat the screws up to aid removal? I really don't want to shear these things off

Cheers,
Karl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7281.jpg (115.9 KB, 30 views)
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote