View Single Post
Old 19th January 2014, 20:14   #1
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default release bearing snapped in half

--picture should be here--

My clutch slave cylinder top part after removal from the car. The release bearing has had it's lip shear off completely and the rest of the clutch was forced through the fingers of the clutch plate, to rattle about inside the clutch/dmf unit.

Needless to say when it happened the car suffered instant and total loss of clutch pressure, and I had to get home with no clutch at all. Fortunately I was able to start the car in first gear to get going.

I fitted that slave cylinder (euro car parts) only 4 months ago, and have done only a about a 1000 miles. Why did it break?

I was able to make a hybrid of the old slave cylinders release bearing and plastic floaty bit and the newer undamaged cylinder and piston hydraulic parts.

It's so much nastier to repair the car in the freezing cold and heavy rain, but the car is now back together and the gear change works now.

Fluid must have gotten onto the clutch plate because take up of drive has been juddery since the rebuild. I think the judders are less severe now as the fluid burns of the plate.

I may fit the clutch kit damper as this may reduce the pressure changes in the slave cylinder to prevent the same thing happening again. Any thoughts on this?
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote