View Single Post
Old 13th August 2018, 21:16   #41
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Yes, the likes of the i-Pace, Audi's e-Tron and the Model S and X are definitely aimed at the upper end of the market. It's cars like the Kona, the Niro, the new Leaf, the new Soul and others under £30k (or under £25k) which will be the more commonly seen EVs on our roads this year and next. However the EV offerings from BMW, VW and Volvo (starting with an all-electric XC40) will start making serious inroads into the market from later next year - these slightly more upmarket (in comparison to the aforementioned far eastern marques) brands will carry more of a halo effect for the average car consumer.

Much as an EV would suit me, my own hope is to keep my 75s on the road as long as I feasibly can. They are supremely comfortable to drive, and to my eyes there hasn't been as elegant-looking a mass-market car since it was unveiled. On top of that, I take the view that it's much better to keep a car going for as long as possible, rather than treat them as accessories to be replaced every 2-3 years. But even I have to wonder whether I'll still be running them in five years' time - after all, by then they will all be 20 or more years old. Cosmetically, one is in fair to decent condition, two are in particularly good shape, but all have needed sill welding. I've just reluctantly passed on the fourth one of my collection, since I had to make a decision about which car was going to be allocated the resources I have available. However, I'm not counting on any of the remaining three appreciating in value, not to the degree that I would get back what I've put into them. The pipedream for me is that the cost of converting to electric will have plummeted by the time the engines on mine finally give up the ghost!
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote