View Single Post
Old 5th April 2020, 19:42   #9
Pete_901
Regular poster

Mg Zt Dark Fantasy 6/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hello again Rich,

Following on from my previous entry, the element usually breaks in one of two places in the seat part. A break in the back element is unlikely.

The first is under the L/H front corner of the seat as viewed from outside the car with the door open. I think that break is caused by the driver 'dropping' on to the corner of the seat when getting into the car.

The other point is where the element goes under the wire to the front edge section of the seat. Under the join between the central seat panel and the outer panels, there is a very stiff piece of wire, as thick as welding rod, with 'Hog Rings' securing the seat cover in place. The element's link from the centre panel and the front outer panel goes under this wire. If the element is not fitted with enough 'free play' as it crosses under the Hog Ring wire, in the cushion cutting/gap, the two rub together and wear the fabric away, protecting the element, until it shorts. Usually, when this happens, there is a small localised burn and you will probably see the yellow sponge blackened at the break point.

As your seat is wired in series, if the break is on the seat then it stops the power getting to the back as well. Try connecting the power just to each element separately. You will probably find the back element is OK

After a few times having to release the seat to be able to see the power feed and connectors, I used the B&Q connectors to extend all the wires so that I can now connect and disconnect/ change around from parallel to series without moving releasing the seat.

Hoping this helps,

Geoff.

I currently have an open circuit in the drivers seat base, break is in the middle were the hog rings are, can I repair that break or do I have to get a new element? if I need the element do you know were I can get one from?
Pete_901 is offline   Reply With Quote