Thread: Paint mismatch
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 07:33   #18
dauphin
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Looking at your pic you would expect the older paint on the wings would be lighter due to fade, metalics are notorious anyways and can look different just from the way the metalic particles lay down.

Just painted the bonnet on my C180 and the new paint is a shade brighter but when I knock it back with compound it will look ok.

I doubt whether it’s down to fading on my car. The wings may be a lighter colour, but they are a more vivid, brighter blue than the bonnet and also they are consistent with all the other panels on the car, whether directly exposed to the sun or not.

Your newly painted bonnet looks a very close match to me and I can well believe that it will blend in even closer once you have worked on it, whereas there’s no way mine ever would.

I think the bottom line is that my bonnet must have been resprayed at some point, rather than having come from the factory like this, as nobody who has replied has suggested poor quality control at the factory as the likely cause. I appreciate all the comments - as Brian says, the bonnet was damaged anyway shortly before I bought the car, when the previous owner tried to get it to close by shoving it, so if I decide to do anything about it, it’ll be easier to start with a decent replacement bonnet and get that sprayed to match - hopefully!
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote