View Single Post
Old 8th April 2018, 21:20   #12
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool I happy to report that....................................

............................................. Pooky Bear still drives like a dream. I decided to take the Bear on the breakfast run instead of Redfive.

Shirley came to the house to join Matt before 9am then we convoyed off to the first meeting point, Sainsbury's at Newton Abbot where a further 3 ZT's were waiting. Then off again with Grovey leading with the Bear growling behind. Soon through the town and onto the A38. Matt soon had Grovey up to speed, 69.9mph (coff!! coff!!). The Bear was itching to lead, and do she did. We went past at about warp speed 3. Oh! My god. With the Bear running ever so sweet.

We eventually pulled into a layby and waited for the rest to catch-up. Once the 4 cars had passed me we pulled out and soon caught up. The plan was for the Bear to lead into the Saltash tunnel, just for the noise. Just had to wind up to Warp speed 3 again to get past, but sensibly of course. We got in front just as we got on the bridge over the Tamar. The speed limit through the tunnel is a strict 30mph. We trickled thro' virtually on tick over but once through we was back into the 70 limit(ish!).

Soon into Saltash Services where we found the rest of the team waiting for us including 2 new members from this forum, Helldriver and partner, along with other forum members Mr & Mrs Ratty, Dazenkel, Cengar and partner, SonicZS and partner. Plus a couple with their Streetwise, whose names escape me.
Once the chatting was over and with Ratty leading we convoyed out towards Callington and Louis Tea Rooms up Kit Hill.

As we pulled into the car park it was packed and the only place to park was a very wet and muddy field. 6 cars parked in the field and we managed to get the other 4 parked up on the approach. And with 22 hungry mouths we trooped into the Tea Room.
Once we had eaten it was back to the cars, 6 to be extracted from the field which was safely down. 9 cars were going onto the top of Kit Hill to the abandoned tin and arsenic mine. Arsenic is a by product of tin mining. SonicZS was leaving us to go home.

Once we was parked at the top in the small car park it was time to drink in the 360 degree view. Photo's taken it was time to wind our way back down the single track, only problem was about 25 Mazda MX 5's were trying to come up. They couldn't get into the car park and we couldn't get out. Matt managed to squeeze past but I was unsighted on the high kerb to my left and was unable to move forward. Stalemate.

It took the leader of the Mazda club about 15 minutes to sort his followers out so that we could leave. Even then some of the owners were reluctant to get onto the grass to let us past. Dazenkel left us here to get back to Plymouth to join his family for Sunday lunch.
We soon joined Matt at the bottom of the hill. Ratty took over as lead car again and onto our next stopover at the quirky Highwayman pub near Okehampton. Again parking was a pain and some of us ended up in yet another muddy field.
If you have never been then this pub is a a must. Google it if you cannot get there.

Once everyone was watered off we went again to Lifton Farmshop in Lifton Town. One car was leaving us, they had to go home as they had left the dog on it's own and no doubt it had crossed legs by now. We also lost Helldriver with her Rover 75. No idea where they went, home I assume to Newton Abbot.
Yet another spirited drive to the farm.
Once there we made our way to the restaurant for tea, well I had a cream tea. Got told off for putting the cream on first and not the jam. Just turned the scones upside down then. Plenty of tea to drink. Some had the same as me, couple of people had pasties and some had toasted tea cakes.

Time was slipping by and it was time to say our goodbye's Mr & Mrs Ratty were going back to Saltash, Cengar and wife had a long trip back to Padstow.
That left 2 ZT's and 2 ZTT's to make there way back towards Torquay. Yet another spirited drive back for the 2 ZTT's. The ZT's soon dropped back into the mists of time.

A grand day out with very good friends.

Those with weak wallets should look away now. I filled the Bear up before leaving and on my return I had just under 'Alf a tank left and with just on 150 miles travelled.

233,509. Thats our 3rd meet done. Might go again next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote