View Single Post
Old 5th June 2019, 18:36   #146679
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Evening all - it hasn't rained in my part of Norfolk all day - so we managed to get the awning erected on the caravan, and we're well set for the next couple of weeks. We're just sitting down to a light snack for tea (home-cooked gammon sandwiches), washed down with Hog Father Vintage Cider (7.4% alcohol!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Rod, what is the name of the place you are at in your travels? A Honda CRV new shape towing a caravan must look impressive
G'day Phil - apologies for not responding earlier, but this is the first time I've popped into the LCOZ today. The Honda with a caravan is a well matched outfit - the car pulls well and is heavy enough to keep control of the 'van - it also has Vehicle Stability Assist & Trailer Stability Assist which help to control any sideways movement of the caravan by applying brakes to individual wheels if a 'snake' is detected. It is a long outfit - car and caravan when hitched up measure 11.67 metres (38' 3"); it's not physically hard to drive, but is quite tiring mentally, especially on motorways where I'm restricted to 60 mph, as you don't want to be making sudden manoeuvres with that length. You're constantly watching in front, both sides and behind for other vehicles which could affect you. Large vehicles, HGVs and coaches, overtaking you have two effects - a 'bow wave' effect as they start to overtake you, which causes you to be pushed towards the nearside, and then as they get alongside you, a sort of 'slipstream' effect.which 'sucks' you towards them. You're constantly needing to make very small steering adjustments - especially if there is a gusty side wind too.
I'll have a hunt to find a photograph of the unit all hitched up - the broadband on the site runs at around 0.7 mbps, so accessing Flickr isn't easy !

Here's a link to the site we're on - in Norfolk, between Fakenham and Cromer on the A148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I've given in to temptation & bought the new TSW Tees valley line game, It's set in 1989 with the Loco's & livery of that time. I'm in freight heaven on coal hoppers & steel coil freight

Hey Ian - that looks suspiciously like what used to be ICI Wilton Site (now called Wilton Site since ICI ceased to exist) between Redcar and Middlesbrough. About 5 miles over the hills from me - far enough that we couldn't smell some of the obnoxious gases that used to escape from the site when there was a breakdown. Even now, if there is a problem, they get of excess gases by burning them through the tall stacks - leading to a midday at midnight sky.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote