View Single Post
Old 8th December 2018, 19:14   #31
Steve1966
Loves to post

2000 W Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Man Club (SE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Before stripping it down to the pump, check for the good old yardstick, cold pressurisation. I suggest you fit a new hose and refill/bleed as before. Then start the engine, organise a fast tickover and check for abnormal cooling system pressure while the engine's still warming up. I suggest this because your description of the hose burst sounds very dramatic for coolant at only 110C. That's little more than 15psi. It sounds over-pressurised, for after all the usual checks and tests, it's blown a hose. Exhaust gas pressurisation can explain all the observations and will need to be eliminated before the next move.

TC
I think the reason the hose failed was the fact that when pressed with a thumb I could feel/see a longitudinal crease about 6 inches long in the wall of the hose. In reality it was only the outer skin that failed today. The hose was very hard when cold unlike the bottom hose which is still very soft and malleable. After 19 years of heat I guess it’s time was up. Worth checking on your own cars everyone. I’ll take pic tomorrow of the crease and post it.

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Steve1966 is offline   Reply With Quote