View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:24   #23
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
Thank you to everybody who answered me regarding the pulley removal problem. Just a quick update to say I did complete the replacement after much messing about and unhelpful professionals who 'could definitely do the job'.
I bought the locking tool, a 3/4" drive set of tools including the socket, extension bars and breaker bar. A six foot scaffold pole was still needed as well! Sadly the locking tool would not fit into the pulley enough because of the domed part of the bolt so a small amount had to be removed to allow for a better fit. Also the socket was just a bit to large to fit through the centre of the locking tool so a lathe was used to take a reduce it. Because a ramp wasn't used the front bumper was removed to allow for the handle of the locking tool to be fitted and used. Would have been to short to hold onto otherwise. After setting everything up, with a helper I was able to undo the pulley bolt and with the use of a an angle gauge able to fit the new pulley, washer and bolt. Of course I now have kit which I won't need again (hopefully). I would be happy to loan the tools if anybody needs them but not if you intend using this starter motor method of doing the job, not with my tools thanks. Thank you again to everybody for their advice and help. Steve.
Well done Stephen - not a nice job. If had seen your original post I could have loaned you the locking tool. I have been away recently, and been away from the forum for a couple of weeks, so missed the post. You can put an extension piece (about 12 inch) into the 3/4" 22mm socket so that the breaker bar/scaffold bar clears the bumper/wing, so no need to remove the bumper.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote