View Single Post
Old 27th January 2020, 07:13   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Been there, done that. Thankfully only once after a puncture southbound on the "Smart" M1 just after Tibshelf services. There's a "refuge" thingy which I managed to get into with a direct phone line to the traffic controllers.

"..... I've closed off Lane 1..... (Which still leaves 3 live lanes)... Oh, thanks, shame about the line of HGV's in Lane 1 travelling at, I guess, 60 mph then..... which continued for several minutes. At that point I've have removed every single one of their licences and if they lost their jobs - tuff. If you chose to drive through a "Red Cross" that should be the consequence of your choice.

If I hadn't made it to the refuge (or there hadn't been one)........

Probably the most scared I've ever been in a motoring situation and that includes marshalling in the Pit Lane at Silverstone for the World Endurance 6 hours. These were the Le Mans cars - was used as a "sprint" race in prep for the Big Event and long before pit lane speed limits. It was reckoned that Jacky Ickx/Derek Bell etc. were well into 3 figures by the time they got to us. About 4 feet to the side of where we were standing . We were well protected...... by a white line on the tarmac. .

There is a bit of a but though.

Aren't we all supposed to be able to STOP in the distance we can see to be clear (on our own side of the road, in the lane we are in etc.) .

Having said all, that totally agree that in reality it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Be safe out there.

Andy.

Andy, unfortunately those that control the overhead gantry's also have to take some responsibility for people ignoring the signs. Time and again overhead gantry's are not updated. I would be very scared to stop in a lane with a red cross, I'd look to change lane and keep going and I would seriously have to consider if to keep going at a reduce speed if all lanes showed a red cross but no one was stopping, I would be terrified of being rear ended, I would not be being arrogant, just fearful of my and my passengers safety.
I have seen the red cross on smart motorways over the "hard shoulder" ignored.

Going North or South I cant recall the hard shoulder is often "open" to traffic but at the next junction it is for the exit only then after the exit for all traffic and then for the exit only and so it goes on..... I don't consider this clever but bordering on dangerous as vehicle's are in and out of lanes and for those towing is more of a problem.

smart motorways...... not the best decision but a lot of money has been spent creating them and so doing away with them is probably not an option.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote