View Single Post
Old 19th January 2020, 14:19   #14
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

No dims in the broken cable photos but these are standard type brass barrels used in vintage / veteran and even postwar (like my) motorcycle. Particularly for gear change cables. I wouldn't use a screw type personally.

There is a technique to soldering in the cable to the barrel, from my motorcycle club site:

"I get my solder gear from the local plumbers merchants and flare the cable by gripping it in a vice with the shoulder of the nipple laying on top of the jaws. With 1/8" cable proud of the nipple using gentle tapping from a ballpein hammer it splays out quite neatly. Remove from vice and slide the nipple down the cable. Clean the cable with carb cleaner to remove any excess grease etc, dip in flux and and play gentle heat on the cable avoiding it becoming cherry red, tin it with solder and slide the nipple down into it whilst its hot, dab another bit of solder onto the cable and then holding vertically slowly dip the lot into the flux pot. You should end up with a lovely dome of solder with the cable ends just poking through which you can then dress down with a file or bench grinder"

I don't use a solder pot but a very small gas soldering iron, avoiding overheating the cable as it will de-nature it, that's why I've added the bold. The splying out is important, there are tools for doing it but the method above works fine.

JohnnyBG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 19th January 2020 at 14:21.. Reason: additional guidance
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote