View Single Post
Old 13th February 2018, 10:41   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
A perfectly set up handbrake system, using all the recommended parts, will still exhibit the locked wheel slop that's regularly mentioned on the forums. Though raised frequently over the years, no convincing explanation of why it behaves thus has been proposed. Less so, how it could be fixed. IMO, it can't be fixed because of an inherent design flaw that resides within the drum.

TC
I agree - the shoes are basically 'floating' within the 'drum' of the brake disc, with only the retaining pins/springs holding them to the backplate. The adjuster is not fixed to anything, so on hills, there will always be some movement of the handbrake shoes even with the compensator/adjustment all perfect. What the design should have included is an adjuster that is bolted to the backplate (like on my MGB and other older cars), and that would hold the shoes in place, removing the 'slop' you refer to. Mind, other modern cars are little better - I did a rear wheel bearing on a Mercedes a few weeks back, and the handbrake shoe/back plate set-up on that was even cheaper and nastier than on the 75s - it made the 75 set-up look like a bit of solid old Victorian engineering !

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote