View Single Post
Old 16th January 2013, 00:43   #22
New75Guy

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Clarification on "clicking" please

Hello everyone, I have just joined here and this is my first post, although I have been trawling the forums pretty regularly since buying my 75 (which I love by the way, despite encountering many problems!). I look forward to becoming a more active member!

Anyhow, it appears my starter motor is also on the way out, and I got very excited when I saw the post about a cheap fix by replacing the contacts. I only just forked out for a new alternator 2 weeks ago

My symptoms match exactly what has been posted in this and other threads, however before I go ahead and buy a kit I wanted some clarification on the "clicking" noise people keep referring to.

Are we talking about the repeated fast clicking that is essentially the indicator noise sped up, whilst the dash flashes? (I have experienced this before when battery was too low to start - during my alternator problems)

The type of clicking I get is a single, very faint (when heard from inside the car) click coming from under the bonnet (I actually didn't hear it the first few times). This I assume is the sound of the starter motor engaging, but then failing to have enough torque to turn the engine over. I felt it was important to clarify this as if I have the "wrong kind" of clicking, I may be barking up the wrong tree by replacing the contacs!

I apologise if this post appearing in another thread elsewhere is frowned upon, but I figure there may be others reading these forums who would like to know the distinction of the clicking also, so it would be helpful over all (although if informed not to do so I will refrain in the future!).

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!
Brandon
New75Guy is offline   Reply With Quote