View Single Post
Old 18th January 2019, 16:56   #1
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

Default KV6 heater slow to heat up

So,now the cold weather has finally arrived am having probs with the heater in the Tourer from cold starts/clearing screen of ice.mist etc.
The KV6 in it takes ages to get the heater up to temp for some reason ?
All functions of the heating/cooling on the Tourer work perfectly apart from it taking ages for heater to get hot.
Can prob rule out water pump (new) or airlocks since it's the same before and after Lates recently did the cambelts and refilled coolant with his vacuum gizmo connected.
Take today for instance -2c this morning,frost on screen. Fired up the V6,set temps to high,all air going to front screen. Sat there for ten minutes,no hot air from screen vents,just very slightly warm. Drove down village and back,round trip of 6 miles or so,still only lukewarm air from screen vents.
Back home I removed drivers side footwell panel covering heater matrix and then drove into Clacton 8 miles away. After brief stop at tip carried on to Clacton and when I got there the heater was at last flowing fairly hot air but it wasn't until the return trip that heater actually flowed hot air.
Got back home and heater matrix pipes were both too hot to touch so heater matrix prob not blocked.
Have checked the sensor grill for the ATC next to steering column wasn't clogged up with fluff,all clear.
Even at motorway speeds heater takes ten miles or so from a cold start to flow hot air.
My old Focus heater would clear the front screen of ice in a few minutes.
Am wondering if it's the thermostat not working right,maybe it's stuck open ?
In hindsight,maybe I should have had Lates replace that too while he had car in bits.
I know the diesel 75's have probs with cold running and have heard they put another inline thermostat into the top radiator hose to get their heaters working.
Is that something that might work on the KV6 too as that's easier to fit than replacing the factory one ?

Still like the Tourer but it does test my patience at times,lol
Threading a reversing camera cable through the tailgate rubber grommet yesterday was a right faff.
Just need heater to warm up quicker like a normal car does !
Paul
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote