View Single Post
Old 10th December 2019, 11:32   #5
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Hi so got a failure today and usually try to do repairs my self but feeling my age now ,So how hard at the roadside would this be to do, failing that how long for a garage to do ?
Thanks
As a coincidence - I went to a yard yesterday to acquire a load of parts relating to your issue.
The bonus for me was that all cars that are in for stripping are elevated from the floor leaving excellent access to the underside. Despite this, I ended up removing the subframe leaving the trailing arms attached to the hub but removed the upper and lower arm bolts, anti roll bar bush clamps (Only 1 bolt snapped) and dragged the subframe clear from the underside after removing the 4 bolts and failsafe washers and exhaust silencer rubbers. The upper arm bolts were easily accessible from this stage as were the ARB drip links.
So it can be done if luck is on your side, there are horror stories connected with this job which can totally disable a vehicle until more £ is spent for more bits and bobs not to mention maybe needing a spare pair of hands with some of the work.
Like you, the repairs would take place on the roadside, for me this is not a roadside job, a driveway is better suited as is the summer time to perform such surgery.
Should you choose to undertake the work yourself, I would recommend copious doses of plusgas of equivalent to all reachable bolts a few days prior to starting.
If your unsure of the job or correct tools to do it safely, worth considering getting it done by reliable garage.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote