View Single Post
Old 24th January 2020, 14:58   #22
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I manged to obtain a secondhand head from a car that had done 50,000 miles. So I decided to swop heads hope its the correct decision. I spent the morning cleaning it and changing the camshafts over as the new??? head came from a 190.I have checked that the new head's face is flat. I noted how small the valve collets are and decided not to remove anymore valves. The collets on the P4 are gigantic by comparison and correspondingly easy to fit. I'll use a block and tackle to refit the head. My muscles are not what they once were; wear and tear I suppose. Do you think I should fit a new thermostat? It's easy to get at now but won't be in a few days time. I am now sure that soomeone was here before because the cylinder head bolts were all tightened to different torques. One bolt was almost loose. I now suspect the garage that fitted the timing belt got the settings wrong , bent a valve or two and had to do a quick repair job before handing it back. It's a theory anyway. The belt was fitted when the 5 year time period was up. it had only covered 30,000 miles. The garage owner who sold the car to my brother had retired and closed down the business. So John had to find a new garage. it's a theory anyway.

Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote