Thread: NHS Surcharge
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 22:36   #35
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I totally agree with the Brian. The problem is that some professionals are being turned away due to the extremely high costs of bringing their skills to the UK. As a result they are going to Canada, Auz, NZ and even S.America. Even getting paid to do so in some cases. many companies are now paying large parts of the immigration fees to lure these skills to the UK.

I suppose one solution that would level the playing field is to pay the people in the medical skills shortage rolls, extra and then everyone pays the surcharge.
Remembering of course that all this is to accommodate EU workers from next year, as commonwealth workers on visa's are already paying this and and accepting that it is value for money.

As a bit of an aside, I think one has to have lived in a non-EU country to completely appreciate the value and service that the NHS offers, as much as people in the UK complain about it. Many are used to paying as much for medical aids/insurance as they do for their monthly housing costs, this on top of high taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
It is not often I am in both camps, but this is where I find myself.

I think it prudent to fill vacancies in the NHS in the most prudent fashion in the short term, and that includes the employment of foreign medical staff where necessary.

In the long term, there should be value placed upon vocational training to encourage the next generation of home grown medical professionals, to reduce reliance on imported labour, note the use of reduction, not eradication, as I strongly believe there to be many merits in diversity in all walks of life, and the enrichment it brings.

However back to the thread title, NHS surcharge, any foreign national irrespective of their employer or employment status, or indeed any ex pat UK national should be required to pay this nominal charge, and it should be looked upon as an insurance payment, in the same manner as a National Insurance contribution is levied upon other UK taxpayers.

I have been in receipt of superlative care from the NHS in the past, and I am in awe of what is achieved by the tireless work of the staff employed in this fantastic organisation, but to say that certain sections of the population who are aliens as far as nationality is concerned should be exempted from paying simply because of who their employer happens to be, is patently wrong, and unfair to other individuals who have chosen to live and work in the UK, who are not exempted.

The NHS as an organisation has evolved from the vision of Aneurin Bevan, of a reactive service to treat ill people, into one where proactive care is more prevalent and people's expectations of treatment they might receive is much higher.

This of course puts an ever growing financial strain on what is effectively a publicly funded enterprise.

So in my view this is not an unfair charge, unless it is levied differently upon some immigrant workers based solely upon their employer, and as such should not be abolished.

Brian
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote