View Single Post
Old 16th August 2019, 08:58   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
They do this to save them selves the hassle of numerous warranty problems, a used car dealer I know well will rarely sell anything over 6 years old for this very reason and as he has said the odd time you do it often comes back and bites you. He had a very nice 8 year old VW come in, one owner, low mileage and lots of history. He sold it to a couple who were back within a few days as a warning light was on, that cost him £200 with some workshop time and a new sensor, a few weeks later it was back again this time with an oil leak, another £400 and he thought that was it. No a month later this time another warning light. Anyway by the time it was out of warranty he had lost nearly £300 on it.

Agreed. As I said in post #3, there is a financial risk associated with selling old cars. When we bought the Twintop for Mrs MSS, its battery lost charge after one week. The trade seller's garage had already replaced the old battery suspecting that it was weak, a broken spring and carried out a service/MOT. When I took the car back, he ended up taking it to a Vx dealer and it cost him £430 for diagnostics and a new ECU that had excessive current draw. By the time the dealer's salary, forecourt cost, insurance etc. was added the process of selling the car had probably cost him around £800. If the car had been an older £2k Twintop, the dealer would have ended up making a loss.

Most people do not sell or trade in that have no issues.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote