Thread: Clutch judder
View Single Post
Old 13th February 2013, 17:43   #21
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
Hmm, interesting. The clutch was replaced at an MG Rover dealer in Cornwall a few years ago now. The new clutch has had a slight judder ever since. Actually a lower mount could be a reasonable explanation for this, as the judder is only really noticeable on pulling from standstill and most likely if there is a bit of steering lock applied...

Anyway, things have rather come to a head: last night got a phone call from my wife to inform me that the clutch pedal was on the floor and she couldn't select any gears. And the car was stranded in the middle of a busy junction. Terrific. AA were rubbish: despite her being a woman alone, and the car in a precarious position they couldn't come for over 2 hours I had to call the police to tell them about the potential hazard, but ultimately some kind passers by helped her push the car to a position of relative safety.

I got home before the AA had arrived, and was able to get partial clutch release by pumping the pedal - and was able to drive the car in one gear to the local backstreet garage and abandoned it there.

They're having a look for me today. Clutch has regained partial operation by this morning apparently, but is biting near the bottom of its travel. They're starting what I expect to be an expensive investigation into the problem this morning.

I still suspect the slave cylinder. Question I suppose is whether the clutch should be replaced again at the same time...

More soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_h View Post
It is is simple investigation, take the lid off the master cylinder fluid reservoir, your finger in , if it goes to the bottom, your reservoir is empty and your slave cylinder has gone as long as there in hydraulic fluid around the master cylinder. Just to confirm that is the problem, bleed it and you will get a clutch back. You can drive on this for anything from a few miles to a few thousand miles depending on how bad the leak is. The master cylinder has a black rubber seal at the top which extends down as the reservoir gets emptied, this is sometimes referred to as the ' condom' for obvious reasons. If the reservoir is empty your finger will go right to the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1mate View Post
In recent weeks my pedal bite is right on the floor & when it is warmed up it is a *** to get into gear, to the point of switch off ignition, engage 1st gear, start the car. I think this is one more item on my 'to do' list
For all the above!!

This might be worth a read!!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...94#post1176994

Always worth a try and kept mine going for 2-1/2 years before the CSC finally went!! won't work if the CSC has gone compleatly though !! thats a fix it here and now job I'm afraid!!

HTH?

Andy
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote