View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:29   #7
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have that too. I recall them series saying about the Germans going into a village, separating men from woman and children and murdering them all, men, woman and children. I think the village was destroyed and was never rebuilt.
I found the killing very upsetting. Some murders I can understand but hatred to murder like that, I cannot understand.

macafee2
The village is Oradour sur Glane and whilst travelling through France near to Limoge we stopped and put the destination into the sat nav. We thought that as it was near we should go out of respect as I also remembered it from the World at War ( I was scared of the opening titles with the burning pictures as a youngster !)

The walk to the main street was a shock with the tram line and overhead cables still in place and as we walked past the damaged shops and houses, cars were still in garages and the main square. The Church looked in good condition but once inside the reality was the bullet holes in the wall after the poor people were shot.

At this point my wife was in tears and we decided to leave passing many upset people as we left.

The reality of the day the horror happened was that they targeted the wrong Oradour as a supposed village that the resistance came from !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote