View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2021, 20:27   #11
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I would agree with you Andy if you had written "... removed, inspected and tested ..." but no-one, except me, has done that. Having then discovered that the housing seam has not, in fact, split, who has had the confidence to refit it using just new 'O' rings? Again, no-one except me. In addition to doing this several times with my own car I've recently done it successfully with another member's car too. So I believe that I CAN say that the housing won't be leaking because it's well known that the cause is the flattening of the 'O' rings.

Regarding your other suggestion of a "break in the plastics", as Billy rightly says this can happen on removal of the old parts until the right technique is discovered to avoid it. The risk is also increased using the "keyhole" method so, if asked, I would always recommend removing the manifold chamber and one inlet manifold for full, unimpeded access and visibilty. Unfortunately such breakages can be incorrectly attributed to failure in service when they have, in fact, occurred during the removal process.

Have a good day Andy.

Simon
Simon
There is no need to have a poke at Andy on this as most members on here know how to do the thermostat via the keyhole method and just change all the parts at the same time while you are in there

For me it is quite simple Simon get all new parts for the thermostat 1.5 hours later job done no worries and constantly checking for leaks
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote