View Single Post
Old 8th April 2017, 09:20   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default BP Gas Light/ MacGas Light

I bought us into this system five or six years ago - 5Kg or 10Kg plastic see through propane bottles, much, much lighter than the steel bottles and you can see at a glance how much gas you have left. Besides which, I didn't like Calor's monopoly - I have 2x 10Kg.

I found an independent local to me gas supplier, who sold the 10Kg refill for £22-50, which worked fine for the first few years, but was a bit of a panic when away from home, because our only other source was Homebase. Homebase then, would not provide a refill unless you could prove you had paid them for the original bottle deposit and they charged £38 for a 10Kg refill, but would not offer a refill. You started again with £45 + the £35 bottle deposit - so my only sensible sources were the impossible to find independents, some of whom wanted to charge £45.

BP sold the system out to MacGas, which might have been a chance to make supplies easier to obtain, but..

My £22-50 local independent were forced by Calor to stop dealing in the BP bottles, then I found another 30 miles away charging £25, the owner of which lived near us and was willing to bring a full bottle home with him for us.

A nice system, made unusable by difficulties of sourcing and variable cost. A couple of years ago I was in south Wales, ringing round trying to find a source which didn't involve paying a new bottle deposit to Homebase. The nearest source I could find was a 300mile round trip away - luckily the gas lasted.

I complained frequently to BP, then to MacGas, Homebase and to the Monopolies Commission about the whole situation.

I was so stressed by the whole situation, that I had been trying to find a means to decant gas from one part empty 10Kg, into a second part empty - so as to at least allow me to swap an empty for a refill without wasting gas.

Whether my complaints worked, or Homebase at last saw sense I don't know, but....

Homebase will now provide a refill without need for a proof of purchase from them and they charge a much more sensible £28.32 for a 10Kg refill. There are 3x Homebase's within 10 miles of where we are planning on going in June. Hopefully, no more concerns about ensuring I have enough gas with me for the entire outing. I will be a taking 1x 1/4 full, 1x 1/3 full which might be enough, but now no panic if it is not.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote