View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2019, 16:22   #10365
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Stripped down the rear brakes to check and adjust the handbrake, having fitted a new compensator when I changed the carpet a few weeks ago. The old compensator had stretched and so was 'adjusted' with washers under the nut, with the lever adjusted correctly it needed the 5th click to hold so I wanted to adjust the rear shoes. I've also noticed a few times after parking it in the garage, particularly if it's been wet that when I would go to get it out again, it seems as though the handbrake was sticking on and would pull away with a couple of loud bangs.

The rear callipers were quite dry and slides were rusty so wire brushes all these up and applied copper grease, also found one of the handbrake cables seized in the hub back plate but after working with WD-40 a few times I was able to extract it and clean up and refit also with a good dollop of copper grease.

Put everything back together and all good, if anything could tweak the handbrake a bit more, was just a bit cautious with the adjusters I think having given it a good run the rear drums were still cool so could probably do another notch on each.

Whilst under the wheel arches, checked the mud traps and cleaned these off, applied some de-rusting to a bit of surface corrosion on the sill closure panel. I've got the protection wax already so just need to remove the wheel arch liners and get everything cleaned up and protected.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote