View Single Post
Old 10th August 2014, 15:19   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
If he has bypassed and isolated the normal fan control creating a power source for the fan via the dash switch then the demist test is going to be academic.
That's an interesting point Steve, and one which I did consider before suggesting the demist test. Here's my thinking.

The normal fan control involves relays. To by-pass and isolate those would mean using cables and a switch capable of handling 30 amps continuously. I was satisfied that this would not be the case. My guess is that the mechanic has wired the switch to energise the fast speed relay coil, and in that event I concluded that the demist test was still valid.

However I agree that it's possible that the mechanic has done something unpredictable. Ideally the modifications need to be removed and the circuit returned to normal, and the OP can always instruct his garage to do this. The alternative I suppose is to take the car to a local meeting for some dismantling and investigation to take place. I think there's one scheduled soon just off the M25 at Leatherhead which should be convenient.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 10th August 2014 at 15:21..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote