View Single Post
Old 12th December 2018, 20:22   #60
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

It is totally possible depending highly on circumstances.

When I had a tyre issue on the M20 to M25 junction, coming back from a trip abroad, I stuck the spacesaver on, and drove at 50mph all the way back to Scotland. I was bored like I have never been before, and it took SOOOO long. Somewhere I think I have the mpg readout photographed.

The weather was warm, there was zero wind for the entire journey, zero traffic jams, zero delays, solid 50 non-stop, and upon getting back, the IPK showed 64.somthing mpg.

I know it must have been FAIRLY accurate, as I still had a load of fuel left in the tank, and also I was actually worried the fuel gauge was broken as it was not really going down at all. From my shaky memory, I think I filled up in Holland/Belguim, and had just under 1/4 tank left at my destination.

Now, translate that to say 80mph, freezing winter, windy as hell, car loaded with stuff, and that could quite easily drop 20mpg straight off the bat.

The weather is a massive factor, but yeah, I was actually paranoid the readout was broken tbh. Driving at 50 all the way was soul destroying, now I dont give a monkeys really about mpg, I just want to get their, life is too short.

Sometimes when abroad, say for arguments sake I'm in Croatia, cruising at 50mph, 36/38DegC temperature, no wind, pure sun, window down, tunes on, IPK will suggest 800+ Miles range off a full tank. In the UK climate, the mpg PLUMMETS, even in the summer. Really you start to see a huge difference when the ambient temps are well above 35. Dont ask me the logic, you would have thought even at running temp, the extra colder air would be better for mpg/ignition, but it seems not.

Last edited by T16; 12th December 2018 at 20:26..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote