View Single Post
Old 12th December 2018, 16:49   #54
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
I did a run from Dover to Thetford recently in my 75 TDC, didn't do any maths ... just put £30 in it to go up and £30 on way home, looked at the trip computer back at home and it said average was 50.1 mpg. that was a mix of ... 1st gear crawling in traffic for 40 minutes on A2 followed by 10 minutes of 5mph at the QE bridge, and anywhere between 45 and 80mph for the rest of the way there.
On way home was a nice run of 60-70mph with very little traffic or slowing barring roundabouts etc: and that was with a filthy / blocked air filter, and a thermostat that would not go past the blue dot! Brrrrr. was a bit cold in the car!
TBH ... I thought that was pretty good for a car of it's size and weight and not (at that time) in it's finest fettle.
Air filter done now, thermostat done, just the fuel / oil / pcv to do tomorrow and then hopefully another run up to Thetford to see my dad before crimbo and i'll take another reading and post it here (if this thread is still going.) LoL.
Approximately 300 mile round trip then, average fuel cost £6.20, so 9.5 gallons, about 32 MPG

Time to sort the thermostat out I'd say

Brian

P.S. I see you've sorted the 'stat out, expect to use considerably less fuel on your next trip

Last edited by marinabrian; 12th December 2018 at 16:53.. Reason: additional info
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote