View Single Post
Old 12th December 2018, 16:11   #52
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Haha - it's not important whether you believe me or not but I think you could be a little more polite!

It's very odd that you'd say that when I've posted evidence and others seem to corroborate my claims.

I shall post again with more evidence when I've bettered 60.1 MPG - I reckon on the right day the car can do better than that. An indicated 63-ish MPG would mean an actual 60 MPG, which is my goal.
I'm sorry but no 75 tourer in diesel manual format irrespective of tune, be it 116 131 or 160 will have an actual range of 791 miles which your pictures allude to given you have travelled 178.9 miles and show a distance to empty of 612 miles.

Now the absolute capacity of the diesel fuel tank is 14.3 gallons, so with a projected range of 791 miles, divided by 14.3 is 55.3 MPG.

So if we take into account that there is less than 1/2 gallon of fuel in a diesel tank when it draws it's last gasp, we can call it a usable 14 gallon capacity, which equates to 56.5 MPG.

I have practised hypermiling over the past two years when visiting London from Newcastle, a round trip of 600 miles.
In a diesel manual ZT saloon the maximum distance from full to empty is 685 miles, and in a 75 diesel automatic, the maximum distance is 610 miles.

This has been tries in all states of tune, 116, 131, and 160, 215/55/16 tyres inflated to 34 PSI, or 225/45/18 tyres at the same pressure, and using cruise control set at 55 MPH travelling non stop at night.

Your IPK is telling porkies I'm afraid, usually because one of the float arms on the twin senders in the tank is sticking or damaged, or you are running tyres of an incorrect profile.

For brim to brim measurements, these must be carried out using the same pump at the same filling station and filling until the first click is heard before stopping.

I have heard these tales all before, and my answer is always the same, whether talking face to face, or online, you have either get your sums wrong, or make it up as you go along, these cars do not do 60 MPG, 55 on a run is the best realistic figure anyone can hope for

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote