View Single Post
Old 15th April 2023, 13:14   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I looked at Adblock as I've used it before, only to find that it wants access to just about everything. Why are all these computers so bloomin' nosey? They track and follow you everywhere, then bombard you with advertising. We've just been looking at Itv X and after signing in, we got loads of local adverts as it has our postcode. Big Brother is definitely watching you, watching it!
Pay for the software or ITVXpro (?), instead of using the free versions. They are commercial companies who need to be paid somehow. Advertising does that. Having local advertising (via postcode) means they can sell 'cheaper' advertising (and possibly more of it), targeted to make it relevant to those who see it. eg a Charles Hurst (a large car dealership here) would likely be irrelevant to you and about 90% of the population watching coronation street, just as an Arnold Clark dealership is irrelevant to me. Then on top of that, you have local programming, news, weather etc. Try signing out, and entering in a different postcode (try BT11AA ), then you will notice a subtle difference.

Quote:
Big Brother is definitely watching you, watching it!
More likely commercial enterprises, in the hope of obtaining your hard earned coin, rather than Big Brother. Big Brother has already got his hands on it before you did .

Quote:
The last person that followed me in the street (Great Yarmouth lowlife looking for a pensioner to mug) got a shock when I jumped out in front of him at a corner and said "Yes! What the **** are you following me for?" He turned on his heels and ran!
errm he was your next door neighbour In situations like that, I would not jump out, but rather follow them to see where they go, better you know where they go.

As for adblock, I find it brilliant for Youtube, and it 'shuts up' tabloid type news sites. If a website requests whitelisting on it, I simply dont bother.

We have a lot of information at our hands now, and it needs to be paid for somehow. On top of that, you have so many more information/entertainment/'news' outlets too, all needing paid for. Add in the folk, like me, who do not want to pay for a lot of things we can get alternatives for free elsewhere (eg entertainment), as well as our demands for instant and convenient info/news/entertainment. Without noticing, we have diluted the quality that we once believed we had. Think of it as a scenario of 4 TV channels with 1000 employees each, which contained 100 geniuses among them, now we have 400 channels, with 100 employees each, and 1 genius in each, competing with each other.

To gain the 'quality' we once had, it needs to be paid for, or 'topped up'. NHS/pension anyone? (notice how many more private healthcare and pension ads we have now )

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote