View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:50   #35
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I had hoped that the then Labour government would have saved Rover from going to the wall, but sadly they didn't seem interested.

Our lorry manufacturing industry went the same way as our car industry too. Many once familiar names now history.

I suspect it is because we the public would have punished the Labour party hard at the elections for "wasting public money" had they done so.

The majority of the population see support for industry as a waste of public resources. The banks, on the other hand, were different in that the individual interests of many would have been directly impacted had a few of the big banks been allowed to collapse.

I have read many people argue in the media that if a school is unable to work within the allocated budget, it should be allowed to collapse in the same way as "any other business". I suspect the same people would be complaining if their child was not getting the teaching that they believed he/she deserved.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote