View Single Post
Old 7th November 2018, 18:53   #26
ricebridge
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Ah hah! This is the classic symptom of air in the cooling system... Item 14 here. I would treat yourself to Rimmer's stainless steel version to replace the non-standard plumbing you have at the moment. Whilst you're at it, check that Mr. Previous Owner hasn't by-passed the oil cooler permanently.
Yes. Brother Occam just called and wanted to lend me his razor. Zeroing in on the simplest possible explanation, a homemade cooling system would certainly be the prime suspect for overheating and leaking problems. And so is the very big possibility that I might have been unable to avoid getting air into the system. Even Haynes notes that the V6 is very prone to air locks.

If it doesn't cool the engine and doesn't heat the interior, even when there's coolant in the expansion tank, then there mustbe an air lock imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I forgot that you've only just bought this V6 so just to confirm that the gauge should reach the nine o'clock position in about a mile. Does it?
Yes. Mind you, that one was pretty self-explanatory though. For all its drawbacks, the kind of "three-position" temp gauge at least shows quite clearly when the temperature is at what could be considered normal. And I use the onboard diagnostics real-time thermometer all the time now. It's a bummer to get to, but it's worth the trouble.
ricebridge is offline   Reply With Quote