Old 7th November 2018, 12:30   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'm very pleased to read this Jonathan.

Item 14 here. I would treat yourself to Rimmer's stainless steel version to replace the non-standard plumbing you have at the moment. Whilst you're at it, check that Mr. Previous Owner hasn't by-passed the oil cooler permanently.

I forgot that you've only just bought this V6 so just to confirm that the gauge should reach the nine o'clock position in about a mile. Does it?

Ah hah! This is the classic symptom of air in the cooling system. I know that you've bled it according to Haynes but something might have gone wrong or air has entered the circuit through a undetected leak or worn expansion tank cap seals.

For your next move Jonathan I would recommend another attempt at bleeding but this time following MG Rover's procedure which I have reproduced here.
Note that the expansion tank must be raised and the bleed screw never opened whilst the engine is running.

Simon
Do you remember Simon, several years, whilst driving back from the West Country on the M4 to London, my V6 kept losing coolant and over heating. With your advice, I stopped every 50 miles and had to top up. Got back okay, thank you. The pink stuff was in the V. Ultimately it was some cracked pipes and the coolant tank had cracked. The tank, pipes, thermostat and it’s housing had to be replaced. Found I had several oil leaks and the seals also had be replaced.
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote