View Single Post
Old 14th June 2014, 15:22   #7
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I'd also add forget WD40 it's no good if something is corroded in place. You need two things, proper penetrating oil such as 'Plus Gas' and a blowtorch, a long breaker bar, and a very good socket. Well OK that was 4 things but I was hoping you'd already have the breaker bar and socket...

Proper penetrating oil and heat work very well at getting stubborn bolts to move when accompanied by a 2 foot long breaker bar. I sweated for two days trying to get my front strut off, and then went and bought a blow torch to add to the plus gas already in use and then it started to move.

I must admit I'm a little worried by :

'I tried to remove the anti-roll bar, but the bolts, although they undid for a few threads, have now decided that they're staying put.'

I hope you don't mean that the just spin but don't undo? but rather that they just won't turn any further (in which case, blow torch and penetrating oil...).

On thinking about it it's possible that in undoing the anti-roll bar bolts a couple of threads what has happened is that the other end of the bolt which was possibly exposed to the elements and so corroded has now dragged that corrosion into the threads (I haven't looked at those bolts myself). If that is the case then do them back up if you can and get a wire brush on the back end and lots more oil on them from both ends and try again.
Have to Agree WD40 is not a release agent it is only good for cleaning electrical contacts and dispel moisture.Use Plus-Gas and the afore mentioned tools

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote