View Single Post
Old 7th June 2019, 08:07   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Repetitive suspension failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc99 View Post
Just had the scruff mot'd. Every year same old fail...... front suspension ... Is this a 75 bugbear?
No Dave. My view on this is rather contentious but nevertheless experience tells me it's true.

The most likely reason is driving technique. Yes, none of us likes to admit that we sometimes don't get it right, myself included, but no-one can go through life without making a mistake now and again.

So what do I mean by 'driving technique'? Principally I mean traversing speed humps and driving through standing water.
  • I've observed that 99% of drivers drive over speed humps as fast as they possibly can. This applies maximum stress to suspension components, particularly from the chamfered speed 'tablets' which, when straddled, apply an outward force to the wall of the tyre, a part which is not designed to resist this.
  • Our roads are poorly maintained and standing rainwater is commonplace. By driving at an appropriate speed it is usually possible to avoid driving through such puddles, ponds or lakes! But again, everyone ploughs on regardless dousing their suspension components in a high pressure blast of water which probably contains grit, mud and other detritus. This will obviously hasten the deterioration of anything it hits.

Since I changed my approach to these hazards several years ago I have never had to renew any suspension components. My 75 has its original "drop links" and front lower suspension arm (it's not a wishbone! ) rear mountings and it's now 20 years old!

The other possible reason Dave is that your MOT tester is setting the standard above what is reasonable with the result that you are paying for repairs which others would consider unnecessary. However, whenever I suggest this, I hear that the company in question has been friends of the family for decades and their work is always of the highest quality and so such a misjudgement could not possibly be the case.

There you go.

Simon