View Single Post
Old 17th October 2019, 10:57   #4
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnats View Post
Have a well maintained 1998 Bailey Pageant Moselle.Recently having problems when the van trips the site bollard without tripping the on-board trips.Seems to happen on Caravan Club sites.Have had the van electrics fully tested, using a generator,and everything works without tripping.We have been using sites home and abroad without this problem and are beginning to think whether the on-site bollards are now more sensitive than the on-board trips.However,when the bollard has tripped.but the vans have not, with everything then switched off.the bollard will not reset.Any ideas ??
Hi Stanley
I don't pretend to be an electrical expert of any sort but I did work on Holiday/Touring Parks for many years.
By law the trips on parks have to be very sensitive cant remember the milli amps but you only need to look at them sometimes and they will pop
A generator won't show up any little faults in either the van or equipment wiring.
This is the way I would approach the problem..
1/ Unplug everything in the caravan not just switch off but unplug from the socket where possible the aim is to have nothing drawing power.
2/ Remove the caravan hook up lead from the site power supply then reset the the trip on the site power, obviously this should now reset with out issue.
3/ With someone keeping an eye on the site trip and beginning with the caravan hook up lead start to reconnect power to each item in the van one at a time, this way you can check each item in turn to see what trips the power.
Remember to unplug/switch off each item after you have checked it and don't forget to switch on the kettle/toaster/microwave etc briefly when testing them.
I'm guessing at a small earth fault on something but if all else fails a Pat Test on the vans circuits should pin point the fault.
Good luck.
Cheers Ian

Last edited by Ian G; 17th October 2019 at 11:06..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote