View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:04   #1
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Default CDTi Bosch MAF sensor - swap over the sensor, or change the whole assembly?

Hi chaps,

It's winter, and the dear old ZTT 2.0CDTi is sulking and wants some attention. Part of that is draining its battery overnight (I'll be checking the glow plug circuit shortly, as the car does not have factory sat nav - the battery is healthy and the alternator is putting out a good charge)...

...the other problem is a longer-term one, that of poor starting. I thought this might be the cam position sensor, but no, a new one didn't cure the problem. Argh. Putting a diagnostic on the car revealed that there was no MAF signal at all - kind of weird that the car still runs without the MIL illuminating...?

The MAF on the car is a Pierberg with a Rover Ron MAFAM. Sorry to say MAFAM fans, I haven't found this box to transform the car, and perhaps one reason is that the MAF has never provided the correct signal???

Cutting a long story short, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a new Bosch MAF and disable the MAFAM and see how the car runs before doing anything else.

It's raining outside, so to reduce my exposure to the elements I am thinking of removing the Bosch sensor from the new MAF assembly and installing this in to the old one in the car, after removing the Pierberg.

Any reason not to do this? Should I replace the whole assembly? What do you chaps think?
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote