View Single Post
Old 18th March 2018, 16:40   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
.......No idea why so many people sent their money to foreign lands when we had a thriving industry producing some great cars right here......
Sadly, in reality, I think we know. My father was a toolmaker in a business supplying the aerospace industry so knew more than a little about tolerances and the needs for quality. He bought many Austin/BL etc. cars.

Niggles and breakdowns and component failures with all of them culminating in a brand new Allegro going back for at least one and possibly 2 replacement gearbox(s) and never ending water leaks.

He went Ford (having previously vowed never to) which was better but still not brilliant then Japanese and never picked up the spanners again. Drive it, have it serviced, drive it again.

The days of lying under the car spannering it every weekend have long passed into the unacceptable.

In current terms a "no brainer" really.

Some got great cars, others duff ones and the great motoring public voted with their feet.

IMHO people demand reliability and if the quality control doesn't produce that then expect to fail.

I'm hearing some very disturbing reports about MINI clutches so, guess what, there're not on my list for consideration nor are several German models that seem to be trading on their historical reputation rather than their current one.

I realise that with all things stuff can go wrong but reducing the odds is an effort worth doing in my book.

So I bought a Rover 75......One driver from new, a folder full of paperwork and clearly much loved.

Keep an open mind.

Provenance is everything. .

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 18th March 2018 at 17:48..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote