View Single Post
Old 12th January 2020, 17:09   #29
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I agree that to use the proper tools is the correct way ( I have them ) but I still stand by my post saying that to not use special tools the tech is incompetent.
Yes, agree - a deliberate decision to do the job such that the timing may not be spot on doesn't necessarily mean incompetence, as long as it has been done well. It could be a decision based on the availability of tools, timescales (i.e. takes too long to obtain them) or cost (severe penny-pinching owner!).

I think this can be justified by the fact the designer of the original KV6 camshaft drive system had stated that there was a service bulletin describing how to do the job with the tools, by making new marks on the secondary pulleys (N.B. the original KV6 had floating rear pulleys too). However, he didn't produce a copy of that procedure, only a very brief description, so I haven't seen it myself.

Part of the reasoning for my post was to highlight the fact that the tools do much more than make the job easier - they are needed to ensure the engine will run perfectly - I hope I didn't upset you with my post, that was not my intention
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote