View Single Post
Old 11th January 2020, 10:57   #21
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Simon. I think that the reason that timing belts break are numerous.I also think that the reason tensioners give up the ghost are numerous also. It does not matter to whoever it happens to, it is a bummer. The usual, I would expect. Is that the material the belts are made from has been tested time and time again to destruction.Think of as many scenarios as you can for that. It is all subjective if someone does have one of the three belts ‘go’. I tried to get my son to have the belts changed at around the correct time (6 years). His comment was that it was a lot of money to part with and he would risk not having them done. Luckily it paid off for him. I have only started the engine uparound four times since September, and every time I do so, I am waiting for a Big Bang and san fairy ann to another KV6 engine. It starts first time every time on the button, so is still in fine fettle, upto now. Although I intend changing the belts before it is put into service,I want to be nosey and see what the belts look like. I expect to find rounding off of the shoulders on the belts, which (could) eventually lead to belt slip. Also slight slackness in the rear belts, not a great deal, but enough if the engine was put under stress could prove to be its undoing. I also remember a post by one of our overseas members, where he undertook to changing the belts, and found damage to one of the belts, there was a ‘nick’ in it, and this again could have caused a tragic loss of engine, possibly.Tensioners? I had the auxiliary belt tensioner go on my 220sd, luckily only one mile from home, the day after we had returned from Bournemouth where we had stopped for Christmas.Mileage was around 80,000.i was told it was usual for them to last around that mileage by a mechanic. My whole point is that there are so many different scenarios that can arise with relation to belt/ tensioner breakages, it is impossible to quantify if, or when it will happen. Sorry, but if I am told that if I do not put oil in my engine it will seize up, then I put oil in my engine. As an aside,a friend of mine took his B*W to the garage for servicing before Christmas. When he got it back, after driving it for a few miles, the engine developed a rattle. He took it back to the garage, and they told him that there was no oil in the engine!!!!! This story is obviously ongoing at the moment as to why there was no oil in the engine? Scenarios,scenarios, scenarios.It all comes down, in my humble opinion to luck with a capital L.