View Single Post
Old 20th April 2017, 21:22   #61
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
ok if clarke impact wrench doesn't get it, get the bolt nice and hot, then have another go. Also give everything a few good taps with a hammer. It must come out.
Oh it came out.

Plenty of heat was applied by the arc welder when a new nut was welded on to the rounded head as a result of the impact wrench trying its best.

Then, once the heat had dissipated into the hub, freezing penetrating oil was applied to the bolt, and with the help of a 3/4 inch breaker bar it started to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
I also have one of these, it failed on the pinch bolt but recently redeemed itself by shifting a stubborn hub nut when changing spring. On the whole for 50 quid its a useful addition to the tool box.
Yes a great bit of kit for the money. Apart from the last pinch bolt, the only other thing it has failed to shift so far is the crank pulley bolt - and you know how tight they can be. A 5 foot scaffold pipe extension to the breaker bar and me swinging on it for all I was worth was needed.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote