View Single Post
Old 5th December 2020, 19:45   #15
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ53 DGO View Post
I think the HGV drivers mistake was assuming the van driver was competent, it would have been perfectly safe to move around a slowing vehicle if everyone obeyed the rules of the road...ie not pull out in front of another vehicle from a minor road. We also don't know how much warning the OP gave, all to often people use indicators as something to tell other road users they know they are turning NOW and not putting them on early enough to give people chance to ease off, increase gaps and travel smoothly which to any HGV is important for both the vehicle and the fuel consumption! 2 miles to the litre when cruising for mine....when having to accelerate 44tonnes I daren't contemplate.

So what you're saying is that the HGV was following the vehicle in front too closely. Forcing him into a dangerous overtake because he couldn't stop in time.

There's no rule to say that you can't emerge from a side road if there's traffic approaching, that would be ridiculous - every city centre would be in perma gridlock. If it is safe and clear to do so then it is fine.

Quote:
Highway Code Rule 167: 167
DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

• approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
Rules 170 and 172 cover the van driver's obligations.
(relevant portions only)
Quote:
Quote:
Take extra care at junctions. You should

• not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.

170 is a 'should' rule so not enforceable directly, and would probably only go against a driver contravening in the case of an actual accident when apportioning blame (in court).

172 is a 'Must' If the driver was confident that the approaching vehicle really was turning left at the junction (and it did QED) then he can make a fair judgement as to whether he can clear the junction in time. I.e. turn onto the left side of the road he's turning right onto fully so as not to be blocking the opposing lane. Given rule 172 he has no expectation of the HGV driver moving into that lane to overtake the turning vehicle.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote