View Single Post
Old 26th October 2013, 04:31   #8
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Superb result David. I didn't suggest removing the undertray either though - just the acoustic cover which is the top engine cover.

On my alternator the brush cover will hold the brushes off the slip rings if you don't push it fully home until after the regulator is bolted back on, but I'm not sure if they are all like this.

Great 'How To'. Should save people loads of time and hassle.

Mike,

My brush cover had a little step in it that stopped it half way closed, so I guess if there was a suitable tool you could insert it at that stage to hold the brushes in then remove it prior to pushing it down the rest of the way, but when you do this job in situ, the brushes are pointing forward so it is just as easy to push them down one at a time with a screw driver. Then fit the cover afterwards.

this fix will keep the alternator going until the slip rings go, but now I have time to get properly prepared for replacement. The worst thing about these jobs is that they happen when you have no time to sort them out. And worse, don't have the parts or the equipment to hand to do it either. This requires the minimal tools really. The only thing some people may not have is a soldering iron. In my case i was short of a spare alternator and a 24mm spanner, both of which I intend to solve before it happens again.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote