View Single Post
Old 1st October 2021, 12:21   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenconny View Post
I‘d definitely would replace the oil and do a couple of flushes to get every bit of the old oil out. Be advised that you need JATCO N402 certified oil, nothing less suffices for these picky boxes. Don‘t use oil that does not specifically say that it is Jatco n402 certified. By experience, I can tell it‘s a TERRIBLE idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And from my experience I can only say that this is not the case. The box is the same as used in many Nissans, Jaguars and even some Volkswagens! Look it up. It is an off the shelf box used by many other cars where no special oil is prescribed!
To think that the Jatco box https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions
would suddenly need any highly special type of oil, just because the box sits in a Rover does not make any sense, whatsoever!. It is true that Rover specifies the 402, but they also specify a certain engine oil, and that is most likely pure advertising revenue or Royalties or whatever backhand they got. Nothing more.
I have run mine on good quality Dexron III for - I guess 10 years. No problems at all.

Oh, and yes, that is personal experience!