View Single Post
Old 21st July 2017, 22:21   #16
VeeSix
Regular poster

MG-ZTT+Rover 75 Tourer

Default Result!

[QUOTE=PhilR75;2514519]If the engine management light flashes up a fault briefly, it would be worth finding someone with a T4 to look into what the failure information might be.

So a big thank-you to everyone who made suggestions. I was just about to buy a code reader when T4Phil came back to me and fitted in a T4 read for a very reasonable charge. I can't recommend him enough, a fountain of knowledge and besides finding the fault with his kit in about 60 seconds, spotted a couple of others things that need doing as preventative maintenance.

What was the problem I hear you ask? Well I'm glad he came because I'd never have found it...the crank sensor was slightly loose!!! When we changed the clutch the old sensor had welded itself in and broke when we tried to remove it. We took the one off our donor car (the gift that keeps on giving!) and bolted it in. I think what happened is the corrosion in the receptor hole prevented the sensor pushing fully home. Then, when my son tightened the bolt he was careful not to exceed the mere 8nm that the little bolt needs. Over a few drives the corrosion wore away and the sensor was floating back and forth by about 0.5mm - just enough to make it intermittent!

Would you believe it? Still, in checking all the other stuff we found that fuel leak and the dodgy gasket on the filter/pump so it was some strange form of preventative medicine too!!
VeeSix is offline   Reply With Quote