View Single Post
Old 15th May 2022, 22:30   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default By jove I think I've done it

Despite not being able to get any instructions or diagrams from SGS I think I have got my trolley jack SGS TJS3 working.

It was a bit, how do I take this apart? I was only stuck when it came to needing a 50mm spanner or socket but got both, free from Freecycle. The jack is very heavy and the risk of trapping fingers was always on my mind.

A seal looks to have perished on the piston barrel. A complete seal kit from SGS was about £14 - £16 I think.

I have the jack extended at the moment and will leave it over night to see if it goes down and then try it with weight.

The seal that leaked is at the end of the piston barrel. The barrel is chamfered making quite a "sharp" end. This could perhaps even cut into the seal.

Should have made a YouTube video.

Other tools needed, circlip pliers, strong string, good size flat bladed screw driver to use as a lever, quite a small screw driver to help remove a couple of seals, 24mm spanner and the blunt end of the shaft from a hammer to press home a new bung. A bit of copper slip was also used. Replacing a pivot I did need a second pair of hands and this is where the wife came in.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote